Thursday, November 10, 2011

November 2011, Week 2: Can I feed a family of 5 for $450/month?

As promised, I am updating with my menu plan, as well as another shopping trip to "big town" while I happened to already be there getting some other needs (why does softener salt have to be so expensive in the town closest to me?).

Meijer:
3 cans refried beans .89, 2@1.29
Diamond Almonds 1.09, 5.99
Juice 2.79
Gum 1.39
2 Stonyfield yogurts @ 3.79 ea
2 rice pasta 3.99 ea
gf tortillas 4.49
Ham shanks 4.78 (one for the beans in the menu, one to freeze for later)
OG milk 6.29 (picked one with the most distant use by date)
2 burritos(my lunch) 2.19 ea
Daisy Sour Cream 2.29
Cershey dark cocoa 2.69
2 large boxes OF Oats 5.98
6 frozen orange juices @ 2.$3
2 sherbets@ 1.50 ea
3 cans of olives $1 ea
large bag string cheese (got the light kind so the kids would stay out of them, hehe--they're for hubby mainly) 5.99
Walnuts 6.49
cashews 6.99

Total came to 95.66

Last total: $143.83 - 95.66 = $48.17 left for the month

I have pretty much everything I need for the main menu for the rest of the month. I suspect I will need to buy milk, lettuce, and perhaps eggs by the end of the month. And maybe some loss leaders if I feel I might have enough for that.


Menu for Nov. 14-30

  • Chicken in the oven with roasted veggies and mashed potatoes
  • Enchiladas (with leftover chicken from above, or beef)
  • 3 x Tuna Sandwiches with apples/cut up veggies on the side, pickles and perhaps chips
  • Ham and Beans and Cornbread
  • Cheeseburger Pizza
  • (Crockpot?) Chicken Spaghetti OR Macaroni and Cheese, veggies on the side
  • Liver and Onions(we'll see how this goes over...), Mac and Cheese as a cop-out side dish...broccoli
  • Turkey Veggie Soup?
  • Crockpot Beans seasoned and mashed to make Burritos with our many tortillas(and my GF tortillas above for me)
  • Biscuits and Gravy(going to try using a standard recipe with some GF flour mix)
  • Chicken done some new way, veggies, Rice

No comments: