Friday, May 15, 2009

Chicken Breasts and Veggies on the Grill


So I finally went to the store yesterday. I tend to hold out until I just cannot stand it any longer, and I have to be in the right mood to go with the kids(who are usually with me pretty much wherever I go). So, yesterday was it.

I was in the mood for veggies, so I went to the store that I think has the best produce: Kroger. I could have gone to Meijer, but I was really not up to the HUGE store and navigating through it with all of the extra non-grocery impulse items there. So, Kroger it was.

I got a whole cartload of fresh fruits and veggies, frozen turkey breasts that were on sale, some tuna and some burgers for the grill, and then a bunch of frozen veggies and some whole grain bread/buns. The checkout lady was very impressed with my selections and made a comment (with raised eyebrows, lol) on how we are eating healthy. I did break down and let Ivy pick out some apricots, but held her off of the Barbie fruit snacks(whew!).

So anyway, I was in the mood to grill last night and this is what I did:

I had some chicken breasts in the freezer--less than a pound, but I figured I could stretch it to feed our family of 5.
I threw these in a bowl, poured some extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, rosemary, and sweet oregano from my herb garden and salt and pepper and let them sit there for about an hour.

These went out to the grill in my new 'grill wok', lest some of my precious chicken fall through the grate to the coals.

Once the chicken was done, I threw in a bag of green/wax beans, about 1/2 a pound of sliced mushrooms(which I recently added back to my diet!) and a purple onion chunked up. I also put some of the chicken marinade on them, figuring if there were any bad germs in there, they would be good and cooked when all was said and done. ;) So, the veggies had the olive oil mix on them as well.

I also got some corn on the cob from Kroger and Ivy did a very good job of shucking it for me. :) They were pretty cheap and a good preview for the summer! I could have done these a la my sister-in-law and left them in part of the husks(minus the little silks) so they wouldn't turn black, but I was fine with keeping Ivy busy for awhile and doing without the husks. ;)

I also made coleslaw to fill out the meal. Sorry, it's not pictured, but amounted to a head of purple cabbage chopped up, a bit of leftover onion from the fridge, and a chopped up carrot. Dressing was sugar, apple cider vinegar, oil, mustard and salt.


This was a very yummy meal, if I do say so myself! I hope to do it again in the next week or two!

Cost breakdown:
Chicken: $1.67
Corn on the Cob: $.94
Frozen Green/Wax Beans: $2.29
Purple Onion: $.50
1/2 lb Mushrooms: $1.50

Purple Cabbage: $1.52
1 Carrot: $.25

Extra Virgin Olive oil, lime juice, spices, leftover onion, etc. Let's say $1. I don't have any idea exactly how much these all cost, but they were already in my kitchen and are usually all readily available. :)

So...that comes to: $9.67, plus I have a TON of leftover coleslaw to serve for another meal!

Sure beats eating out! :)

No comments: