Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Farm Fresh Eggs and Crustless Spinach Quiche

I will continue adding to My Allergy Story, but I feel like talking about something else today. :)

There is nothing quite like walking out to the chicken house to check on the flock and returning to the house with a farm fresh egg or two in hand, still warm since the chickens just laid them. You can't get any fresher than that!



I decided to make some quiche, since I happen to have everything in the house to make it.

This has been one of my 'safe' foods on my Allergy-Avoidance diet. Some with corn allergy *may* have problems with the cheese, but I seemed to do fine with it. Your mileage may vary.
CRUSTLESS SPINACH QUICHE
Here are the items you will need:

~About a pound of spinach(I used frozen, thawed here, but have used canned, drained as well)
~An 8 oz block of mozzarella cheese, shredded
~6 eggs (or however many you want to add--I've used less and I've used more with good results each time)
~Salt and pepper, to taste

Microwave the spinach just so it doesn't t have big frozen chunks of spinach when you are mixing it. Then add the eggs, the shredded mozzarella cheese, and however much salt and pepper you want to add.

Spray your pan with cooking spray(I use a 'safe' oil in an oil mister). Or use a paper towel or your fingers and spread a bit of oil on it. Pour the mixture in and smooth it out.

Bake at 350* for 30-40 minutes, until set. I like to let it bake long enough to brown the top a bit. It will rise up a bit in the oven, but when it cools it will go back down.
Voila!

This is for dinner tonite, along with some Kefir Waffles I am experimenting with. :)

This is a fairly frugal meal.

Spinach- between $2-3
Cheese- $2.89
Eggs- 'free' to us, unless you count the cost of feed, but if you had to buy them...about $.85

So, a total between $5.74-$6.74

No comments: