Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos


I decided it was time for a meatless dish, and since my allergies aren't making me miserable I decided to make the slightly labor-intensive Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos. I haven't made them in over a year due to my garlic and legume allergy and inability to find a corn-free tortilla. The time has come!

I didn't measure everything exactly, as I didn't want little bits of stuff sitting in the fridge, but here's the basic recipe.

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos

~1 lb bag of black beans, cooked in the crockpot and drained

~5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped up--enough to make about 5 cups

~3 cups of chopped onion
~4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
~1T minced green chile(I substituted minced banana pepper from the garden)
~small amount of oil
~3-4 tsp ground cumin

~1/2 c lightly packed cilantro leaves, chopped(I substituted flat leaf parsley from the garden-the cilantro is now coriander, lol)
~2 TB lemon juice(I substituted lime juice)
~heaping teaspoon salt

Tortillas-you choose the size you want. Of course, if you are Gluten-Free, be sure to use GF tortillas.

1. Sort, rinse and cook your beans in the crockpot early in the day/the day before. Mine took about 5 hours on high, but higher altitudes and different water may vary a lot. Canned beans can be used as well. (about 4 cans). Drain and set aside.

2. Peel and cube sweet potatoes, put in pan and cook as you would mashed potatoes until tender. Drain.

3. While sweet potatoes are cooking, chop onion, garlic, and chiles and cook in oil in skillet until tender. Add cumin and cook a little bit longer, stirring well.

4. Put beans in mixer, start it on low. Slowly add sweet potatoes, then cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and lastly the onion mixture.

5. Heat tortillas briefly so they are warm for folding. (I used the microwave for about 30 seconds or so). Put some bean mixture on each tortilla, roll it up and lay on greased pan.

6. Bake at 350* for about 30 minutes. Serve with your choice of toppings.

With this recipe, using Gordita-sized tortillas, I was able to make 16 burritos. I probably could have filled them more, but I didn't want to make them so big my kids couldn't eat them! :)

Enjoy!

No comments: