Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Favorite Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

It's yet another rainy and cool spring day. Who wants to go out in that, right? I'm waiting for a sunny, or at least a NOT windy day to go out and plant my spinach and peas and onion sets...


Until that day, I decided to make a batch of my favorite oatmeal cookies. It's adapted from the recipe on the box of Meijer Naturals Old Fashioned Oats.



My Favorite Oatmeal Cookies:

1 cup Nutiva Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54-Ounce Jar
1 cup sugar(I often skimp on the sugar--about 3/4 cup)
1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs(from our own chickens in this case!)
1 teaspoon Vanilla ExtractSimply Organic Vanilla Extract - 4 oz,(Frontier)

1 1/2 cups KING ARTHUR WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt

3 cups Old Fashioned Oats(I use Meijer Naturals store brand)

1 cup chopped walnuts, optional(this time I used raw pumpkin seeds)
1 cup raisins, optional (I substituted Ocean Spray Craisins Sweetened Dried Cranberries - 48 oz (3 Pounds))
I also had a handful or two of Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips 10 Oz (love these because they are very simple and contain no soy or milk)


Preheat oven to 350*. Grease or spray cookie sheets.
Beat coconut oil and sugars until creamy.

Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt and add to sugar mixture; mix well.  Stir in oats, nuts, and whatever other extras you want to add.

Roll into balls or use a melon baller and place about 2" apart on greased cookie sheet. Press down a bit with a fork and bake 10 minutes.  That's my youngest there, helping. :)

Let cool a bit on the pan(but not completely) before removing from pan to rack to cool. 

Makes 4-5 dozen, depending on size of cookies.


Mmmmmm!
I love to have these with a hot cup of tea with honey.

No comments: