Thursday, March 11, 2010

How to find Allergen-Free Recipes for Your Own Needs

The last few weeks have been fairly stressful for our family, but all is now under control. Thanks be to the Lord for His guidance and care!

My hubby is undergoing some dietary changes, and I am once again changing the family's diet. Where once it was me avoiding the nightshades, now my husband needs to be avoiding them. Unfortunately, he is not real into eating like I was back when I was avoiding them(lots of squash, sweet potatoes, that sort of thing). So, I am back to looking for recipes and ideas. He is also avoiding other acidic foods such as coffee and chocolate, as well as peppermint.

I was getting frustrated with the general recipe sites because it seemed like most recipes had something essential that I now shouldn't be using. It was about impossible to exclude everything(like with the "spicy" spices my hubby is supposed to avoid).

This morning I remembered the site Cooking Allergy Free. On this site, once you sign up(it's free!) you can go to Edit My Allergies and click on the foods you/your family are avoiding. Once you have your allergies selected, then you can go about looking up recipes and more easily find ones that will work for you. When you do a search, it prioritizes the recipes from ones most likely to fit your needs, down to ones with foods you need to avoid, and it lets you know when a recipe contains a questionable ingredient.

So, if you are tired of the same ol' menu or just looking for some new ideas, go check it out! There is also a discussion board and other helpful information on the site.

I am using Cooking Allergy Free to find recipes to accommodate my husband's needs, as well as the needs of 2 of my kids that are avoiding Dairy.

It's making it a lot easier to figure out what's for dinner in the next week or two.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: