Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Review: Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo

Heaven is For Real is the story of a 4 year old boy who had what has been called a near-death experience and how he shared his experience with those around him. The book is written by the father of the boy, Todd Burpo, who is also a Wesleyan preacher.



I just finished this book yesterday and promptly loaned it to someone else to read. It is a can't-put-down book that can be finished in a matter of a few hours and mulled over for much longer than that. Scripture is footnoted throughout the book so you can see for yourself the correlations between the Bible and what Colton experienced.



I found the book to be quite close to what Scripture describes heaven to be like, though I know there is much we in our human finiteness cannot fully comprehend. As the mother of a miscarried child, and having lost my grandmother just over 6 months ago, it gave me renewed hope and a longing for what and who(and Who) is waiting for me after this life on earth.

The book gave me plenty to think about and opened my eyes a bit more to the world around me and the ministries Jesus has me in. We really should come to Jesus as little children...and cherish those children we have in our lives...and not dismiss them because "we know better".  Sometimes they are wiser than we and have more faith than we do. There is much we can learn from them.



This is a book that I want to purchase for myself (this one was borrowed on interlibrary loan) so that I can loan it out to others and they can in turn pass it on to someone else. Definitely a must-read. :)


UPDATE: Here is an interview that FOX News did: http://video.foxnews.com/v/4600541/new-book-claims-heaven-is-for-real

No comments: