Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Book Review: Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child

Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child by Anthony Esolen is an insightful look into the influences on our children today, where these influences come from, and how to cultivate the imagination of children today, rather than destroy it.

The public school system(and much of modern education in general) comes under fire as Esolen examines how and what we are teaching our children. His rather dry humor shines through as he analyzes and explains each of his points. He references many pieces of literature and events in history that I want to revisit after reading about them in this book. Probably half of them, I had never heard of and want to learn more about.

I was not able to complete the book (only made it 2/3 through and had to return it to the library, where I had it out on interlibrary loan).  It is a fairly deep, fascinating, eye-opening read that I hope to one day revisit and finish, perhaps sometime when the kids are gone camping with my sis-in-law or our next road trip. It does take some time and lots of focus to make it through, but I found Esolen's humor and perspective to be both enlightening and entertaining.

Just a thought--I think this book would be an excellent choice for a book club to read together and discuss one chapter for each session.

No comments: