Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day - Heart Pizza



This girl on a tight budget and for all intents and purposes "snowed in" has gone the frugal way to celebrate Valentine's Day: Heart-shaped Pizzas.

I used my favorite quick pizza dough recipe(because who has time to let it rise for an hour?) and classic kid-friendly toppings.

Pizza Dough
4-5 cups of flour(today I used 3 cups King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat and 2 cups King Arthur Organic All-purpose)
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt (I used Redmond Real Salt)
4 1/2 tsp yeast (mine is bulk saf-instant)
1 1/2 cups hot water
1/2 cup warm milk
3 TB olive oil

Mix dry ingredients in mixer bowl. Add liquid ingredients all at once. Allow to knead 2-3 minutes, adding flour if necessary. Roll/pat out, top with favorite toppings, and bake at 550*(yes, 550*) for 7-10 minutes.


 

For the kids I used regular ol' tomatoey pizza sauce, mozzarella, Hormel Turkey Pepperoni, canned mushrooms and halved black olives.
For mine, I used pesto from Aldi instead of the pizza sauce, mozzarella, Hormel Turkey Pepperoni, canned mushrooms and halved black olives. And a few turns of Spice Islands Garlic & Herb Bread Dipping Spices.


Yum!

No comments: