Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Book Review: Ted Dekker's Lost Books Series

As you can see from What I'm Reading in 2011 (see sidebar), I have been reading a whole lot of Dekker lately.  This post pertains to The Lost Books series.

If you like Dekker's Circle Series (and I loved them), then you will most likely be drawn to the Lost Books series.

The Lost Books series is geared towards a younger audience, but that doesn't make the nature of the story any less riveting than the Circle Series.  The characters are younger, and they intermingle with characters from the Circle Series(heavily) and other books by Dekker. So far, I have read Showdown from  the Paradise Series and some of the characters in that book pop in as well.  This gives the stories more depth as we learn about how the characters interact and what they are up to.

As with all of the Dekker books I have read, the Lost Books series explores the meaning of good and evil, what it is to struggle with one's own desires, and how we can triumph over these things with the help of God(Elyon).

I enjoyed the whole series overall, but I do have to say that the last two of the series, Lunatic and Elyon, are written in a slightly different style and with a character I really did not like (maybe that was the point).  I would venture to guess that this is because these are co-written with Kaci Hill, not written strictly by Dekker himself.  That said, I was still eager to read the characters through to the end of the books to see what was going to happen and how it was all going to end!

I would recommend these books to anyone who likes a good, clean, well-written story that will keep you thinking long after you have finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I love these books and what is good is that he uses anologys that are based on reality. Such as, hes ays that Teeleh, the evil one, was created by Elyon, the sacred on, and Lucifer or Satin was created by God or Jesus.