Monday, July 25, 2011

RECIPE: Sweet Freezer Pickles

The heat and rain last week has made my garden go crazy! Especially since I didn't make it out there to swelter in the 105+ temps and weed.

Last Monday, I picked about 20 cucumbers. Then, it was too hot all week to be able to can them (we don't have a/c). Those cukes have been living in the fridge.

Today (Monday), I think I picked 25 cucumbers out there. It's cooler today and the forecast is a little more promising than last week, so I am working in the kitchen today.

Here's a pic of the cukes, beans and some Forellenschluss lettuce I picked today. And my kitty thinking, "What on earth was she thinking, planting so many cucumbers!".

While I was picking, I found a few cucumbers with mysterious white foamy stuff on them....so my cucumber picking days might be over soon. All the more reason to preserve my bounty!

On the suggestion from my sis-in-law, I am going to try making freezer pickles. She made them last  year and they were a success. So, since I have so many cucumbers, I am jumping in.

I started with this recipe from Cooks.com and changed it to my preferences.


Sweet Freezer Pickles

7 cups sliced cucumbers
1 cup sliced onion
2 tbsp salt
2 cups sugar (I use cane sugar)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp celery seed

If your cucumbers are of average size and the skins aren't bitter, you can leave them on for more nutrition. A food processor makes quick work of the slicing. I used my glass 8 cup batter bowl to make measuring easy.

Put your sliced cucumbers and sliced onions in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Mix it up so the salt is distributed.
Heat sugar, vinegar and celery seed and stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over cucumber mixture. Stir well.

Refrigerate 1 day, then put in freezer containers and freeze.


I tripled this recipe, using 13 cucumbers and 3 smallish purple onions. This fit perfectly in my Tupperware Thatsa Bowl, with plenty of room to stir. I will divide the pickles into containers and freeze tomorrow.



Editing to add the pic of my pickles in the containers I could scrounge up from around the house. I froze the plastic containers and have the glass jarred pickles in the fridge for use to eat the next 2 weeks or so. :)

No comments: