Sunday, July 17, 2011

RECIPE: Gluten-Free Primal Pizza Crust


In my quest for Gluten-free foods that don't use a lot of highly processed additives like xanthan gum and etc, AND trying to fit dh's needs for Low-Carb, I came across a recipe on YouTube for Perfect Primal Gluten Free Pizza Crust and decided to give it a try.  I did change it a bit from the video recipe, so take look if you don't like my way of doing it.
This recipe yields a crust that you can pick up in your hand and eat like regular pizza.


Gluten-Free Pizza Crust I

4 eggs
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/3 cup flax meal (I whir 1/3 cup flax seeds in my Bella kitchen blender)
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350*.

Mix all of the above until well combined. You want it to look like pancake batter. Add garlic, basil, oregano, and any other spices you like in your pizza and stir.

Pour onto a piece of parchment paper you have laid on a pizza pan or cookie sheet.  Don't skip the parchment paper step! Only parchment paper will work!  Spread the batter out in whatever shape you want, as evenly as possible and around 1/4" or so thick.

Bake 10 minutes.

Remove from oven.

Flip dough off of parchment paper and onto pan.

Top with your preferred sauce and pizza toppings. Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly and crust feels done.


On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this about a 7 or 8, depending on what toppings I put on it. Tonight, I sauteed fresh mushrooms and chopped onions in olive oil and added my homegrown oregano and basil near the end of sauteeing.

On the pizza, I put a bit of olive oil, then 8oz shredded mozzarella, then the mushroom mixture, then some pepperoni slices.
I will still be looking for another Gluten-free, Low-Carb crust to try, but until I find something better, this is what I will be using to meet those needs.

Thanks for reading!


Edited to add: I may take this off of the menu for a few weeks. I got a headache within an hour after eating, and hubby's gut didn't feel too great after eating this pizza. It may be it doesn't agree with us after all... I have a history of coconut allergy (that has been treated and haven't had any problems since that I recall)... so will be taking some coconut flour as well as some flax seed in next time I go in for a "tune-up".


Or, it could be the heat/humidity factor. We don't have a/c. :(

No comments: