Wednesday, April 15, 2009

An AAT Setback

During this week's AAT appointment, I experienced a bit of a setback in my treatment. Late last week I started reacting at random times. I would try to figure out what was causing the reactions, with tree pollen being one of the top suspects, but most of the reactions occurred when I was indoors. I began suspecting something was up, since it was seemingly random reactions that I haven't lived with regularly since being treated for corn and the wheat/grains.

Easter was particularly a challenge. For breakfast I had New York Crumb Cake made by me, and tea with milk and then we went to church. On the way to church I was having the itchy throat/sinus drainage stuff going on.
Church went fairly well with no reactions that I can remember.
We went to my sister-in-law's house for lunch and spend the afternoon/early evening there. I did eat ham that as far as I knew only had corny ingredients so was probably ok. I also had asparagus(which I've done fine with eating occassionally), a few ripe and green olives, carrots, and a roll that I had made with safe ingredients for me. I ended dinner with angel-food cake (purchased variety with no palm oil) with strawberries and my real whipped cream on top.
I didn't have any immediate oral reactions as far as itchy throat or ears, but I could tell something was up as the afternoon progressed. I nearly fell asleep on the couch (which is unusual for me) and I was just feeling really sluggish and thirsty.
I must have had at least 3 large glasses of water while there.

Oh, and the carpets had been cleaned recently and the smell was starting to bother me.

By the end of the afternoon, I was experiencing the brain fog/inability to concentrate/irritability/headache symptoms. We finally decided to head home.

Once home, I took a Benadryl (on top of the Loratadine I take every day) and sat down to take it easy for a bit. The fog actually started to lift within 10-15 minutes and the headache left me.

Then I got dinner for the kids and ran the dishwasher. That was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.

The kids' dinner consisted of Garlic Spaghetti(Garlic is a known allergen for me) and the dishwashing detergent is suspected by me to have an allergen(coconut?).

The itching throat/ears/runny nose/sneezing and irritability came back in a rush. I was so ready to put the kids to bed. Once they were down, I went to bed by 8:30 and was dead to the world by 9pm. I didn't even hear the phone ring when a friend called!

The next days, I was feeling 'not right'. The seemingly random oral itching/ears itching/runny nose/slight headache/brain fog/sinus problems were just bugging me!

My AAT doc went through the things I have been treated for, and come to find out, I needed more treatment for Wheat/Mixed Grains! Apparently, I am one of the 15% minority who needs to have something re-treated. So we spent the appointment time working through all of the little components of the grains. A few of the things I remember that came up were phytic acid and rice bran.

Hopefully this time it will stick!

One interesting thing the AAT doc said was that somehow he knew that I was "reversed". I don't recall the exact term he used, but he said that the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body. But, part (20%?) of the nerves of each side of the brain cross over somehow. He said that my body was using the 20% to function, not the 80%. So he had to do a reversal technique before the testing and treatment. I don't understand how it all works, but based on how I was feeling, I believe I was working on 20%!

Looking back, I can see why Easter gave me so much trouble--I had grains so many times that day, and THEN I assaulted my body with known allergens! My bucket was just too full and couldn't take it any longer.

Normal protocol for AAT is to avoid what you were treated for for 2 hours after treatment. I did have some whole wheat breading on a veggie last night, but I think I will be staying away from regular servings of the grains for a bit...just because.

No comments: