Monday, June 8, 2009

Runzas


I made Runzas earlier today so that dinner would be ready when we got back from my Allergenix appointment this afternoon and I wouldn't have to deal with cooking then.

I got the recipe from my mom, who got it from my grandma. Mom made them quite often while we were growing up. I have no idea where Grandma got the recipe, but they are a fairly frugal meal, though time-consuming. I often double the recipe and freeze half of them for easy lunches and dinners.

Recipe:
Runzas
4 1/2 cups flour(I used King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat today)
1/2 cup sugar
2 pkg (1/4 oz each) yeast(or 5 tsp bulk yeast)
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup shortening(I used butter)
2 eggs

Filling:
1 pound lean ground beef
2 small onions, chopped
4 cups (or so) chopped cabbage
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In large mixing bowl, place 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
Heat milk, water and shortening to 120*-130*. Pour over flour mixture. At this time, add the eggs. Beat mixture with electric mixer on low until blended. Beat 3 more minutes on high. Stir in remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic(approx. 6-8 mins, less if you have a Kitchenaid mixer). Place dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise until double(1 hour).
Meanwhile, brown beef and onions in a skillet. Add cabbage, salt and pepper. Cook until cabbage is wilted.
Punch down dough: Take handfuls of it and roll out into a rough circle. Top with about 1/3 -1/2 cup of meat mix. Fold into triangles and place on greased baking sheets.
Bake at 350* for 20 mins or until golden brown.
Serve hot.

Makes about 12 Runzas, depending on how big you make them.

Notes: I had to add about 1/2 cup more flour today, probably because it's a pretty humid day. You may not have to.


I have been known to be short on time and have a hankering for Runzas and making a "Runza Pie" as well. I basically cook the meat/onion/cabbage mixture and spoon it into a pie pan and top with biscuit dough and bake. Easy and yummy! :)

5 comments:

annies home said...

thanks for the great recipe always looking for something new to cook

Anonymous said...

those look wonderful. i love the care you put into forming the dough into such pretty packages. i put these on my "to try" list when it's cool enough to bake again.

Krista Morris said...

Hi, I am just in the middle of making these and can't figure out when you put in the eggs... I am going to guess it goes in the dough along with the milk and butter.... Thanks for posting, this is the closest recipe to on the net to what I remember eating as a kid. Looking forward to trying them for dinner tonight...

Tanya said...

Krista-yes, put it in the mixing bowl after you put in the milk and butter. Sorry it wasn't clear--off to fix that now! :)

The Hungry Homeschooler said...

That'a so funny I ran across this recipe. I've been making almost this exact recipe for years. Never knew the name was Runzas. We either refer to them as meat and cabbage rolls or lean pockets. I like to put mixed vegetable in our along with the cabbage. Very yummy and store well.