Wednesday, April 20, 2011

RECIPE: Venison-Stuffed Butternut Squash OR Make Somethin' Up to Use Up the Last Squash!

I have one lone Butternut Squash to use up. And it will have to be me eating it, 'cuz I'm the only one that eats it around here w/o it being disguised, hehe.

Tonight's the night!

Hence...

Venison-stuffed Butternut Squash

~1 butternut squash, washed, halved, cored and a few holes poked in bottom to allow for some drainage

~1 lb venison sausage(sub. your own safe sausage--ours has salt, pepper, and a touch of fennel)
~1 large onion, chopped

~2 cloves of garlic, minced
~1-2 ribs of celery, chopped

~Mushrooms, chopped--I used one small can

~Salt and pepper, to taste
~Cumin, to taste (because I'm craving spice and am not doing nightshades)
~Oregano

~1 1/2 cups or so of shredded cheese (I used cheddar)




Place prepped squash in a 9x13 baking dish. Salt and pepper it if desired. Set aside.


Brown venison and add remaining ingredients and cook well(I like my onions to get a little caramelized/browned).

Add cheese, stir until combined, and spoon into squash.




Cover and bake 350 for around an hour(check on it--you want your squash good and soft).

If desired, top with a bit more cheese and bake until browned on top.


I was in a hurry last night when I took this out of the oven, and dished it out before I went to take a pic---and then my batteries were dead! So up above is what you get until/unless I take a pic of my leftovers.

Looking back, I think the recipe would be improved by at least partially baking the squash before putting the stuffing in and baking.  Like I said, I was in a hurry last night. I had to put my portion in the microwave for a minute or two to sufficiently cook the squash. But it was good! :) And gluten-free!

No comments: