Saturday, May 7, 2011

Product Review: Neilmed Rinse Bottle

It's springtime, the time when pollen counts start to go up.

My BioAllergenix treatments have helped substantially. I am no longer taking daily antihistamines to survive the Spring/Summer/Fall seasons(not that they ever really helped anyway), but I still have here-and-there episodes of hayfever.

For example, yesterday I was mowing our grass for nearly 2 hours and by the time I got to the end, I was sneezing and blowing my nose a lot.

Enter the Neti Pot. Or a similar product I actually prefer:  the Neilmed Rinse Bottle.

Both the Neti Pot and the Neilmed Rinse Bottle work on the same premise: run warm salt water through your sinuses to rinse out all of the stuff your body is reacting to. 

This is a simple, cheap, effective means of finding relief, not only for hayfever/environmental allergies, but also for when you are fighting sinus problems/cold symptoms.  It flushes out bacteria the same way it does the pollens.


It's also particularly entertaining for kids to watch. My daughter was mesmerized by it yesterday.(Hee-hee) Cheap entertainment, lol. And it makes you feel better, too!  When I was finished mowing the grass yesterday, I made sure to use this, and my condition greatly improved after I did.

 Note: If you have completely blocked sinuses, it might not work well. But if you are having lots of hayfever reactions/runny nose issues and can breathe through your nose at least a little, it will most likely work and help get rid of the stuff your body is reacting to.  If you have an ear infection, it might be a good idea to treat that first before using a sinus rinse aid.



My method of using the Neilmed Rinse Bottle is:

1. Fill with very warm tap water. My water is softened. If you have hard water, you may want to use warmed distilled water.


2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of Canning Salt or Sea Salt, put your finger over the hole and shake to mix.  You don't want any additives in your salt (don't use iodized salt!). (If you prefer, you can buy little packets instead of using your own salt).


3. Over a sink, with your head slightly tilted, place the bottle tip at the highest nostril and gently squeeze the water into your nose. Breathe through your mouth and relax. If the water is too warm, let the bottle sit for a bit. If it's too cold, you can start over with warmer water or microwave it in 5 second increments until it's the right temp for you. If the water is coming into your mouth, sometimes it helps to pretend you are about to say a word starting with hard sound of the letter "k". 


4. Once the bottle is half-empty, stop squeezing the bottle and let your nose drain into the sink.  Place a finger on your highest nostril and press as you gently blow the excess water out of the opposite nostril. 


5. Repeat for the other side. Rinse your face with fresh water. Dry. Then use a tissue and gently blow your nose to get any residual water out.

This can be repeated throughout the day. I believe the recommendations are for morning and evening, and after you are exposed to your allergens. 



No comments: