Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recipe: Tailgate Salad


It's getting warmer and picnics and barbecues are on the horizon. Which means I get to pull out my recipe for Tailgate Salad.  I often get asked for the recipe when I take this as my contribution. So here it is. I double it when I take it to potlucks. :)

Tailgate Salad
1 can corn (15 oz or thereabouts)
1 can green beans
1 can peas
1 cup celery, sliced/diced (whichever you prefer)
1 cup chopped onion (I just use one onion)
1 small jar pimento, chopped (optional: I never use it, though MIL has gone to the trouble/expense of using it and says it didn't change the taste at all--it's just to add color)

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
1/2 cup oil (I use grapeseed oil or extra light olive oil)


Drain canned veggies and combine with celery and onion in a bowl. 
Heat sugar and vinegar in a saucepan on the stove until sugar dissolves.  Add the oil and cook briefly.  While still hot, pour over veggies and stir to combine well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Keeps up to 3 weeks, but doesn't last long because we eat it in a matter of a few days.




Sometimes, to add more protein, or to substitute for one of the veggies, I will add a can of garbanzo beans, black beans, or kidney beans (drained and rinsed). Yum!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

My late grandma in law used to make a tailgate salad that I loved, but I lost the recipe. She used green beans, corn, onion, bell peppers, hominy, and pimento. Your recipe sounds a lot like hers so thank you for sharing!