Thursday, December 1, 2011

November 2011, Week 4+: Can I feed a family of 5 for $450/month?

Well, folks, I did it! I was stubborn and refused to go to the store since my last shop, so I ended the month with $2.63 to spare. Even though I "needed" some things, I was able to make do with what we had for the rest of the month. (Having sick kids for a day or two also helped give me incentive to stay home.)

Of course, hubby says "there's nothing to eat". We aren't anywhere near going hungry, though. We just don't have much easy-to-grab-and-eat stuff around. And I'm out of easy proteins for him, such as cheese sticks.  Being "out of regular food" isn't bad overall, though. If we're truly hungry, we can eat an apple, orange, carrot, bowl of cereal(hot or cold), popcorn, nut butter or tuna sandwich...etc.  To me, that is still food.


For breakfast, my son requested pancakes. I am out of eggs and most "regular" flour....so I googled an eggless pancake recipe and subbed in GF flour (only because I didn't have enough regular flour left). Had to add a lot more milk, but it worked ok. Actually, it went over much better than did the oatmeal I served the kids for breakfast yesterday(the boys resisted, Ivy gobbled it up happily). :)


Looking forward to going to the store, though! But not today as planned...sick kiddo.
Menu planning for next month and hopefully shopping soon.

Has anyone found these postings helpful? 
Is there any other info that you are curious about pertaining to the topic at hand? 

Please comment below! :)

No comments: