Here is the way I make it in the crockpot (spice blend curtesy of my mom's recipe).
GF Crockpot Beef Stew
1. Fill crockpot about 3/4 full with about a pound of beef stew meat(ground beef works in a pinch--brown it first) and a mixture of potatoes, carrots, onion, celery and garlic.
2. Add the following ingredients/spices and stir into veggies/meat:
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tsp GF Worchestershire Sauce (Meijer brand is Gluten-free, as is Lea & Perrins)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (I want to try smoked paprika sometime!)
- dash of cloves or allspice
3. Cover with water or GF broth--I used chicken or turkey bone broth from the freezer (or, depending on how much liquid you like, don't cover completely with water--but do add at least a cup or so of liquid), put lid on and cook on high for 4 hours or so(or longer on low).
4. If you would like to thicken your stew, mix about 1/4 cup gluten-free flour mix (the more starchy ones come in handy here) with a bit of cold water and stir into stew and let cook a bit longer until it thickens up. A different starch would work too (such as corn starch)--just be sure you don't use wheat flour or another gluten-y flour.
Serve and Enjoy!
Pic to come!