Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Main Garden: May 13, 2012

After a long weekend of doing Other Stuff, I was finally able to get most of our Main Garden planted on Mother's Day.

Here's a list of what I planted:

Greens: 5 Color Silverbeets (aka Chard), Kale Mix, Bibb Lettuce, Spinach, Arugula
Yellow Squash (aka Golden Zucchini)
Zucchini (Costata Romanesco)
Acorn Squash(hybrid)
Delicata Squash(an old packet--I hope it comes up because I can't find seed for it locally!)
Royal Burgundy Bush Beans
Beets (Detroit Dark Red and Bull's Blood)
Jacob's Cattle Beans (for dry beans-these are also a bush bean)
Bush Cucumbers:Bush Champion and Picklebush
Okra (Burgundy-seed saved from last year)

Basil, purple basil, cumin, regular parsley, flat leaf parsley, dill

Job's Tears-experimental crop
Sorghum- for seed for a larger crop in the following years
Ambrosia Bicolor Corn- sweet corn-hubby planted this one, actually

4 Banana pepper plants (purchased)
1 Brandywine Tomato plant (free w/flower purchases last week)

Nasturtiums, sunflowers, marigolds and some miscellaneous flower seeds (I think Cosmos, Forget-me-nots, Calendula and Alyssum) in some little "squares" of the garden to encourage good bugs/discourage bad bugs.

Here is a pic of the garden so far.



Not very impressive, since it's "just dirt", lol.  Duncan, our oldest, commented that there were "big spaces" still...and I was feeling the same thing. But, I also realize that once things start growing, things will fill out and I will be thankful for a little space in the garden. :)

No comments: