Monday, August 29, 2011

Dehydrating More Vegetables

Today is another day for using my Excalibur Dehydrator. We have lots of veggies in the garden waiting to be eaten or preserved somehow for later on.

Today I am drying:

1. 3 trays of Sweet Corn (hopefully non-GMO, though I'm not 100% certain. It came from a generous relative.)

2. 1 1/3 trays of sliced Cucumbers, and


3. 2/3 of a tray of my Royal Burgundy Bush Beans

I've never dried any of these before, so this is new territory for me. Still, it's pretty easy. :)

For the corn, I had my oldest son shuck it, then I cooked it in hot water for a bit like you would do for corn on the cob. I let it cool, cut it off of the cobs, and spread it on the trays. I sort of like the chunks of corn you get when you cut it off the cob, so I left it like that for now. I will need to stir the corn a bit while it's drying, so we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure it will stay together once dried.

For the cucumbers, I just washed, peeled, and thinly sliced them. Then, I put them on the trays. According to some sites, they are good to incorporate into veggie soups(though I admit I have never knowingly  had cucumbers in a veggie soup!), as snacks, and to blend up into powder and make some sort of dip with them.

For the beans, the books I have do not say to blanch the beans. I simply washed the beans, snapped off the ends, broke them into pieces and spread them out on the tray.

I set the timer for about 10 hours. I will check on them once or twice in between to see how it's going and maybe rearrange the trays. 

Here's to Real Food!

No comments: