Friday, August 19, 2011

RECIPE: Gluten-Free Zucchini Brownies

Thankfully, my Zucchini plants aren't going bonkers this year, AND they are still alive. They usually succumb to the inevitable squash bug by this time of year. I'm thinking the one month delay in planting might have been a good thing!

So, since I can't get the kids to eat zucchini any other way, I decided to try my mom's Zucchini Brownie Recipe and make it Gluten-Free.

I chose to use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour for this recipe. This is the first mix I saw at the local health food store, and it doesn't contain the gums (xanthan, guar, etc) that I don't particularly care for. So far, I am pretty happy with it in the 3 recipes I have used it in. (See Elderberry Adventures post from yesterday for the other two recipes I experimented with.)

The only thing I changed from the original recipe was the flour: rather than regular flour, I subbed the Bob's Gluten-free flour 1:1. I think it was just fine, and filled my chocolate need.

This makes more of a cake-like brownie, for you brownie conoisseurs. 

Mom's Zucchini Brownies
2 c grated zucchini
2 c flour
1 1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 cup nuts(I don't usually add these)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c oil
2 beaten eggs

Mix all of the ingredients together and spread in a greased 9 by 13 pan. Bake at 350* for 20 min or until done (my glass pan takes a bit longer).





Yum!

No comments: