Monday, August 22, 2011

RECIPE UPDATE: Healthier Morning Orange Drink!

I mentioned in my other recipe post about Morning Orange Drink that I was looking for a way to make it healthier.

Well, today I found one way! And it turns out it's a good way to get food-based probiotics into my kids!

I had let my previous Homemade Kefir die after one of our Colorado trips awhile back, and gotten out of the habit. However, I was recently able to acquire some kefir grains from a friend and got started with it again.  This strain isn't as tart as my other strain, and it grows a lot more quickly. I had a jar that was basically 1 cup whey and 1 cup of ricotta-consistency kefir from one of the days last week. I kept it in the fridge for a few days until I could figure out what to do with it, and came up with the idea of incorporating it into the recipe I'm sharing today.

Here's the recipe with the alterations:

Healthier Morning Orange Drink 
2 cups kefir
1/3 cup sugar
6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate
1 tsp vanilla extract (check for gluten)
10 ice cubes


Put all of the above into your blender and blend until smooth. Serves 4.

All of my kids had some, and I put what was left into popsicle molds. Goodbye dyes and artificial flavors and high fructose corn syrup!

Made with kefir, this recipe has a slight bit of effervescence. I told  my kids "It's sort of like a soda, sort of like a milk shake." 

I might even let the kids have one of these popsicles with their breakfasts. :)

No comments: