Friday, August 26, 2011

The Gluten-Free Healthy Snack List

In my Gluten-Free journey, there are times that I am stumped as to what to eat for a snack.  So, I finally made a list to go to when I find myself in this predicament.

It's also a good way to keep myself and the kids from relying on processed (often GMO-laden) foods for snacks, and to learn/teach about combining foods to get enough protein to feel satisfied for awhile!

Also, if I am wandering around trying to figure out what to eat and nothing sounds good, I find a glass of water really hits the spot. We often think we are hungry, when we are actually thirsty.

The Gluten-Free Healthy Snack List

~Apples (dried or fresh) with nut butter OR cheese OR a handful of nuts

~Dried fruit (unsulphured is best, IMO) and a handful of nuts or seeds

~Celery with nut butter (add raisins for "Ants on a Log")

~Carrots/Peppers/Celery/other Veggies with Hummus

~Banana--frozen on a stick has gone over well here this summer.  We found Diana's Bananas this summer and they were a hit! They are just bananas frozen on a stick and dipped in chocolate (dark or milk).

~Frozen peas and carrots or mixed vegetables-2 of my kids love to eat these right from the freezer

~Tortilla Chips (yes, these are packaged) with Hummus, or made as Nachos with Cheese and Salsa and maybe some Refried Beans

~Dried Vegetable Chips (Zucchini, Summer Squash, Beets...)

~Kale Chips (ok, well, I liked them)

~Freezer Pickles or Cucumbers and Onions

~Boiled Egg

~Yogurt (plain, or with a sprinkling of Homemade Granola)

~Cottage Cheese (I prefer Daisy because of the simple, short list of ingredients) and some fruit such as peaches (canned or fresh)

~Gluten-Free Zucchini Brownies

~Popcorn (we like it with butter, salt, and a bit of nutritional yeast--for B vitamins!)

~A cup of Gluten-free cereal or Homemade Granola incorporated into a Trail Mix

~Healthier Morning Orange Drink--for an afternoon snack sort of like an Orange Julius Shake--made with Kefir or Yogurt for more protein!
OR, made as Popsicles for a cool treat!




What would you add to this list?

No comments: